I have a new trophy! 🏆😊
I have been a member of a not-for-profit public speaking group called POWERtalk for nearly 20 years and this week competed in the club speech contest.
The trophy comment might have given it away, but yes, I was fortunate to win amongst a strong group of competitors.
The next step is to compete at the Australian level.
I won this in 2013 and had the honour of representing Australia that year in an international contest in Hawaii. I have had a couple of runner-up placings since.
What I have learned from competing and watching brilliant, skilled speakers is it needs to be a well-written speech, gestures are important, but the most stimulating speeches are those presented by speakers who master vocal delivery.
Learn how by attending the upcoming 1-Day Professional Speaking Masterclass on March 24, 2023, and learn 5 top tips to speak like a pro.
“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning”
As a speaker, it is important to know how to use your voice effectively to convey your message and captivate your audience.
Here are some tips on how to use voice, pitch, pace, tone, and pause in speeches and speak like a pro:
🎤 Voice: Your voice is your primary tool in public speaking, and it is important to use it effectively. To make your voice more engaging and persuasive, try the following:
- Speak clearly and enunciate your words.
- Vary your tone and volume to convey different emotions and emphasize key points.
- Use a conversational tone to make your audience feel more connected to you.
🎤 Pitch: Pitch refers to the highness or lowness of your voice. Varying your pitch can help keep your audience engaged and interested. Try the following:
- Use a higher pitch to convey excitement or enthusiasm.
- Use a lower pitch to convey seriousness or authority.
🎤 Pace: The speed at which you speak can greatly impact your audience’s ability to understand and retain your message. Try the following:
- Speak at a moderate pace to ensure your audience can follow your ideas.
- Speed up or slow down to emphasize important points or add emphasis.
🎤 Tone: Your tone can convey a lot about your attitude and feelings towards your topic. Try the following:
- Use a positive tone to convey enthusiasm and excitement.
- Use a serious tone to convey importance or urgency.
🎤 Pause: Pausing can be a powerful tool in public speaking. It allows your audience to process what you have said and can add emphasis to key points. Try the following:
- Pause after making a key point to allow your audience to digest it.
- Use a pause for dramatic effect, such as before a punchline or important reveal.
By using these techniques, you can improve your public speaking skills and keep your audience engaged and interested in your message.
Remember, practice makes perfect, so be sure to rehearse your speech using these techniques to ensure you are using your voice effectively.
Learn how by attending the upcoming 1-Day Professional Speaking Masterclass on March 24.
It is a day of participation and practice to assist you in becoming an engaging speaker.
Click for details and claim one of the final few places still available.
Wishing you success as an engaging speaker.