Do you know why people buy? Well not just other people but you and me as well.
Apart from the need to solve a problem, people purchase products or services for two more basic reasons.
- To satisfy a basic need
- To make them feel good
So why are people prepared to pay more for some products and not for others?
- We will pay more for specialist advice (just ask your local GP)
- We will pay more if we believe it will solve our specific problem
- We will pay more if we believe it is better quality (even if it isn’t)
I know when I market my coaching in a general format I don’t have anywhere near the response when I target my niche market and be seen as a specialist who can solve their specific problems.
Don’t try to be all things to all people. Become a specialist!
You will need to determine which category your product or service is a solution to and market it accordingly. Be aware though that your product or service might fit more than one category.
- Do you solve a problem?
- Satisfy a basic need?
- Or make people feel good?
Resist the temptation to be too general in the hopes of getting a larger slice of the market. Not defining your target market can be expensive and a waste valuable time and money.
- Listen to your clients when they are talking about their problems
- Survey your marked
- Try different forms of marketing and test the results
Best wishes till next time.
To work with Janeen, visit her calendar to arrange a Complimentary Clarity Call