Benefits of Jigsaw Puzzles
Are you a jigsaw person?
Every summer holiday for years, (and years), I find an interesting 1000-piece jigsaw in the shops and set myself a task. Some have certainly been more difficult than others.
Matching the colours, the shapes, the picture to what is on the box. For me, fun and a challenge. It is certainly more interesting than summer television.
I completed one of 33 Australian birds this week. It was super tricky and looks fabulous finished. It always feels like a sense of accomplishment when it is complete.
Did you know there are a lot of benefits to doing jigsaw puzzles?
A jigsaw puzzle requires your full attention and therein lies the magic.
There are many benefits of doing jigsaw puzzles that can improve your health and business.
- Mental exercise – a complete brain exercise using both the right and left sides.
- Better Visual Spatial Reasoning – with a puzzle you must see different pieces within a larger image
- Greater Attention to Detail – you train your eyes to find small differences. When we are more detailed and precise, the quality of your work improves.
- Improves Memory – strengthens neural connections and helps improve short-term memory.
- Increases your IQ – Researchers have found spending 25 minutes a day solving puzzles will raise your IQ by 4 points.
- Improves Problem Solving – You learn the value of testing hypotheses and changing your perspective when something doesn’t go as planned.
- Increases Productivity – When you are happier and less stressed, it is easier to focus.
- Better Collaboration and Teamwork – Help build collaboration and the ability to cooperate and teamwork.
- Better Mood – It increased brain production of dopamine.
- Decreases Stress Levels – Our brains go from “Beta” or awake to a state of “Alpha” when you are assembling puzzles. Like dreaming.
So, if you aren’t into puzzling why not give it a go. The results could be amazing.