How do you reduce nerves when speaking in public?
Have you ever gone to speak then your mind has gone totally blank and you couldn’t think of what to say?
You get up to deliver your one-minute pitch at a business event. Lots of ideas are racing through your mind. Then when you stand…bam!
You can’t think of a single thing.
You do manage to open your mouth and speak, but all those well-rehearsed ideas have completely disappeared
It has happened to the best of us.
There are methods to deal with nerves and avoid going blank.
“Don’t let the fear of striking out hold you back.” Babe Ruth
- Rehearse: Nerves are often driven by fear and unfamiliarity. Rehearsal makes you familiar and comfortable with your content and environment.
- Take Deep Breaths: Nerves create shallow, rapid breathing. Regain control of breathing in slowly and deeply, holding for a count of three and then breathing out slowly.
- Use an Anecdote or ‘Engagement Item’: Try not to be too mechanical when reading notes or using visual aids. Try starting by telling a relevant anecdote or story to get over the difficult first few lines.
- Know Your Intro: Most speakers are at their most nervous at the beginning. By making the star almost second nature you will ease comfortably into the main body of the speech or presentation.
- You Will Always Feel Ten Times More Nervous Than You Look: By giving the impression of confidence we often become more confident. Stand with relaxed shoulders, positioned behind the hips, anchor yourself to the floor (or chair), Smile, and hold your head level.
Overcoming nerves when you speak on your feet is an essential skill to master for any up-and-coming speaker.
At the March 24, 2023, Professional Speaking Masterclass, you will not only learn how to calm the nerves but also how to use your voice with skill and authority.
In the training discover the top 10 methods to reduce nerves when public speaking that work.
There is only one spot left for this Masterclass so if it is for you…grab it up quickly. Alternatively use the same link and register for the March 24 Masterclass.
Have a wonderful week…and remember to breathe. 😏
- +61 413940117