I figure I’m like most people. Not quite a perfectionist but we do like things done to a particular standard. Nothing wrong with that…unless it means we don’t recognise our shortcomings and get help when we need it. And for your perfectionists…it is even more crucial you do. But you already knew that, didn’t you?
I don’t speak geek but with a podcast, blog, website, social media marketing etc, to manage, I’ve had to really stretch my tech abilities and gain a whole lot of new skills. And if you are doing the same with these tasks or any task you aren’t comfortable with, you would be aware this can very time-consuming. But often necessary.
What I do (well aim to do) is take a hand off approach to any tasks that don’t require my expertise. Willing to try it yourself? Oh, but it is soooo hard to let go of control. I’m hearing you but I’ve learnt if you want more time to do the things that are necessary and important, it is vital to get help.
There are many reasons why you may choose to outsource certain business functions. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Reducing and controlling operating costs (the largest driver)
- Improving company focus
- Gaining access to world-class capabilities
- Freeing internal resources for other purposes
- Streamlining or increasing efficiency for time-consuming functions
- Maximizing use of external resources
If you are having trouble letting go, try these simple exercises this week:
- Outsource an activity you know you aren’t good at
- Seek out an expert to help with a project that is stalling
- Learn and hone a new skill so you can quickly do it yourself
Why not let go of control this week and see what happens when you get help?
The Dali Lama tells us, “Remember not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.”
- Develop a support network
- Work with a business buddy
- Join a Mastermind group
Until next time
To work with Janeen, visit her calendar to arrange a Complimentary Clarity Call