Discover how to find your voice and have the confidence to speak up in any business situation.
“If you think you can do a thing or think you can’t do a thing, you’re right.” Henry Ford
I believe one of the most valuable skills you can have in life and in business is possessing the confidence to be able to express yourself with authority. To believe what you have to say is of value and you are worthwhile enough to speak up.
Speaking in front of people is one of the most common phobias out there. But this phobia is particularly harmful in the business world.
You have ideas, input, or questions – things that need to be addressed if the project is going to proceed smoothly.
But that fear lingers: You think I work with these people.
“If I speak, will they think I’m an idiot? What will happen if things go badly?”
Let’s look at some ways you can find the confidence to speak up…
- Take small steps
- Identify occasions where you feel comfortable speaking
- Write down what you are going to say
- Develop your skills in a lower risk environment
- Define why your voice is important
- Take action rather than seeking perfection
- Visualise the conversation first then act
- Phrase statemetns with ‘I think’ and ‘This is why’
- Focus on facts, not emotions
- Pay attento to your body and verbal language
- Let go of outcomes
- Act ‘as if’ to build confidence and credibility
- Be an advocate for others
- Wait for the better opportunity
- Remember the reason you are at the table
You owe your colleagues and clients the wisdom of your opinion. Remember, you get paid because of your expertise! As long as you are confident in how you came to your conclusion, stating that point of view can begin with one sentence. Nothing more.
A simple statement of opinion with the reasoning behind the “why” creates an opportunity for others to get curious and engage in dialogue.
To learn more about the We Are Success Mentoring Program and how it can assist you in discovering your confidence, and be held accountable to reach your targets, click here for information and to join.
Purchase your copy of ‘Being Unstoppable’ here.